Monday, August 3, 2009

Thanks to Lisa


My friends and I were lucky enough to be invited to the Weissler's home in Waccabuc, NY this past Saturday. Whenever I hop on the Metro-North train bound for the Katonah stop, I start getting butterflies in my stomach. You would think it's because I am about to get my own room in the guest house, or the freedom to play tennis without making a reservation, or listening to Frank Sinatra while lounging by the pool. However, the butterflies come from the fact that I skipped breakfast to save up for the mouth watering food that I am about to receive. Lisa is the personal chef for the Weissler's (grandparents of my friend Daryn in picture). Typically, I over stuff my face with her delightful dishes and let it marinate in my tummy while bobbing on a noodle right before I kick Brett's butt in tennis. This time I decided to pick Lisa's brain on her "can't live without" kitchen gadgets and two recipes from my favorite items she made that day.

THANKS LISA!!!

BREAD STICKS

"One Is Never Enough" Bread Sticks:
(makes 12 bread sticks)

1 lb Pizza Dough
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Oregano chopped
1 Tbsp Rosemary chopped
1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 1/2 tsp Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients aside from dough in a bowl. Roll dough flat and brush herbs and oil mixture on top. Cut dough into 1/2 inch strips (easiest with ravioli or pizza roller). Pick up both ends of a strip and twist...repeat with other strips. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper so they don't stick. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Make sure to rotate pan a few times during baking.


ICED TEA

Too Easy Tea:

Crystal Light iced tea powder mix with lemon
Orange Juice (pulp free) or frozen orange juice
Water

Directions:

For whatever amount of crystal light mix you decide to make, add 1/3 the amount of regular or frozen orange juice. Add ice and an orange slice and serve; that's it!


Aside from the usual tongs, baking sheets, etc. that are kitchen staples, Lisa can't live without the culinary gadgets shown above. You can get most of these items at any kitchen supply store.

Listed from left to right:

High temp spatula- will not melt when left in a hot pot or pan
Madeline- slices vegetables with ease
Pepper grinder- used in most dishes
Olive Pitter- takes the seeds out of olives
Peeler- no explanation needed
Round cutters- cuts pizza, cake, cookie dough into various round shapes
Reamer- releases the juice out of lemons, limes, oranges, etc.
Microplane- grates Parmesan, garlic, zests lemons

No comments:

Post a Comment